Tuesday 3 December 2013

Mum's quiche.


My mum is a wonderful woman whom I love dearly, but she's not a chef. Not that the food she cooks isn't great, she just doesn't enjoy cooking. She does it because she has to, but sees it as a chore. So, when she does cook, she tries to minimise the time actually spent in the kitchen.
A few years ago, she made a tuna quiche (it's not really a quiche, but for lack of other descriptive word, we call it that). From first bite, I was in love. At home, we have it almost once every week.
When I moved to France, I was interested in expanding my culinary skills to be like the greats, and forgot all about the simple recipes. A few weeks ago, I found mums recipe stored away in my recipe book and, knowing I was heading into a few late nights at uni, baked one up to store in the fridge for re-heating. I've begun cooking it almost once a week now. I forgot how good and easy it is! And it's so easy to pop in the freezer and when I'm not getting home until late, I can just microwave a piece.


What you need:
1 large carrot
1 zucchini
1 medium size tin of tuna
1 tin of peas
1 tin of corn
1 large egg
1 sheet of puff pastry
A handful of grated cheese

What you do:
1. Grate the carrot and zucchini into a large bowl. And add the peas and corn.
2. Drain the tuna of excess water in a colander and, using a fork, break up into smaller pieces. Add to the other ingredients bowl.
3. Lightly whisk the egg and mix into the bowl, mixing well to ensure everything is bound by some egg.
4. Spread the sheet of puff pastry across any tin (I use a circle tin because I think it looks more classic).
5. Pour the other ingredients into the pastry case. If there is pastry sticking up around the sides, just roll them down.
6. Sprinkle the grated cheese on top and pop into the oven at 180°C for about an hour (or until the pastry and cheese are cooked).
7. Cook and serve while still hot!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...